Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane


I have to admit, I really like the process of packing for a trip. It's always a real puzzle. This sweater or that sweater? What shoes go with everything and are also comfortable? Could I wear this jacket over that shirt if I get cold? And of course, the big question: Will it all fit in my suitcase?

Over the years, I've become an increasingly efficient packer. I will forgo an extra pair of shoes to avoid checking my luggage. I rejoice in dresses that fold up to nothing without getting wrinkled. And I actually have a see-through cosmetics bag already packed with travel-sized items, so I don't have to move the toothpaste from the medicine cabinet.

Luckily, 90% of my wardrobe is black, so this also helps with packing— Black shirt, jeans, black shoes, outfit. However, my friends had a good chuckle a few years ago when I showed up for our trip to beautiful, tropical Costa Rica in head to toe black . . . with a black purse . . . pulling a black roll-y suitcase . . . I think the exact words were "Carrie Bradshaw goes to Costa Rica!" They were all wearing backpacks, wind-breakers, and shorts, in actual *gasp* colors . . . Despite the Gothic beachwear incident (hey, I live in New York!) I feel like I am pretty good at solving the riddle of the suitcase. Anyone that doesn't have to sit on their bag to close it has to be doing something right . . .

ps. I'm going to be away from my computer until the 24th, but I promise lots of new posts when I get back!

(Suitcase photo © Littlehouse of Style)

No comments: