Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sticking to my guns . . . sort of . . .

A few weeks ago, I was perusing my favorite online shopping sites while eating lunch at my desk. I know I'm on a Shoe Diet, but it can't hurt to look, right? It had been almost 4 months since I bought shoes, and I felt confident, almost cocky, that I would reach my 6 month goal. Well, this particular afternoon it probably wasn't the best idea to test my resolve. . .

I came across a pair of shoes that I couldn't ignore. They were part of the collaboration between Adidas and Japanese designer, Yohji Yamamoto. And they were awesome. And on sale.

I put them in my shopping cart. I deleted them from my shopping cart. I watched as other sizes got sold out and my size remained available. My cursor hovered over the "Add to Bag" button. I needed someone to talk me down.

I emailed my boyfriend the link. A few seconds later my phone rang. "Don't do it." "But . . . look how cool they are!" I whined. "Come on, don't be weak. You only have two more months to go." I got whinier. I listed all the reasons I had to have the shoes. My boyfriend didn't back down. "Under no circumstances should you buy those shoes." When we hung up, I pouted for a while. A half hour later, when I checked the site again, the shoes were sold out. I pouted some more.

The other night, my boyfriend came over after work. He had mentioned he had something for me. This means he had successfully hunted down some amazing out-of-print art book that I had my eye on. Much of my art and design library has come from him, and I was excited to see what its newest addition would be. However, as he handed me the Amazon-sized box, I said jokingly, "Shoes!?" "You're obsessed!" he responded. "What's wrong with you?! You're like an addict!" Sigh. It's true.

Guess what was inside?

Eeeeeeeeee!



I paired them with this H&M dress today. I love how the scoop back looks like the heels.

Definitely my new favorite pair.

(Yohji Yamamoto shoes © Littlehouse of Style)




11 comments:

stephanie roberts said...

okay,

so i', gonna' cry (sniff!) love this story. good man. good man!

http://pleasedontshootmedown.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS
thanks for sharing as always darling
and thanks for your sweet comments!

-cma
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

wow check those shoes out x

Christine said...

Great shoes! You have the best boyfriend in the whoooooole world!

MsHark said...

WOW your boyfriend is AWESOME!!! and I love the way you told that story! Funky shoes but SO CUTE!

Sarah S. said...

Wow! Surprises are the BEST :) Congrats on your new addition to the family, Cass!

Collegiate Couture said...

Killer wedges! The shape is SO out there...I love it!!

ADJ said...

really wonderful shoes and awesome blog!

love it...

www.greeneggsandglam.blogspot.com

Rosalind said...

I really like the similarities between the dress and shoes, as you've already mentioned. They seem to really compliment each other!
What's so interesting aout these shoes is the structure - I always enjoy looking at innovative designs, be it for feet or general clothing.
Thanksfor joinging in with my debate, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

http://clothescamerasandcoffee.blogspot.com/

The Photodiarist said...

Love the story more than the shoes. And I really like the shoes!

thomasng said...

good story!